27.05.2011 - 07.06.2011
Once we hit the west coast, we already felt like we were home. After traveling for so many months, it is funny how you notice all the culture right here in the US. The people, the places, the customs are all very different from one state to the next and right when we stepped foot into Washington, we felt like we were closer to home.
We spent a couple nights out by Mt. Rainier, which was beautiful and we enjoyed the little park we stayed in. We took it easy and decided not to go into the national park because the roads were very windy, so we decided we will do that on another trip when we have a car to drive instead of a big rv!
We went into Seattle for just a day. It is very hard to get around a big city in the rv (we have avoided them most of the trip), so we could only spend a day there. We did all the tourist stuff like the Space Needle and Pikes Place. We went to the “gum wall” which we took some pictures of and we bought a coffee at the very first Starbucks. Seattle is a fun city and we loved wandering around there for the day!!
After Seattle, we made our way into Olympic National Park. We loved this place, it was just so beautiful!! The beaches had a lot of drift wood and rocks. Ruby Beach had amazing tide pools where we found a lot of amazing star fish and sea anemones! We had so much fun climbing the rocks and finding things as we went! After Ruby, we made our way to Forks (oh yes, we did some Twilight looking!lol) and then down to La Push. Everything was just so green and beautiful! We even lucked out for one of the most rainy places in the US, we actually had sun almost every day! We spent a few nights in Port Angeles at a cute little RV park and then made our way back onto I-5 to get moving into Portland area.
We are now in Hillsboro, OR which will be our future home, so we are very excited to explore and see what it looks like here! Chris starts Helicopter Pilot school in August and I am looking for teaching jobs. As we end one adventure, we start another and we are so excited!!!!! We will spend a little over a week here and then we will head home (maybe a quick stop at Crater Lake, depending on gas prices!lol).
This will be our last entry…..we cannot believe the journey is over. Thank you so much to those of you who have followed along with us…this blog has helped us to feel connected as we have traveled across the US and we love hearing from all of you. Here are a few answers to the questions we know will come up as we make our way home:
1. Favorite Place: Chris- Tetons for the landscape, South Dakota for wildlife, and Great Smokey Mtns for hiking & biking!
Jenny- Tetons and Yellowstone were just so amazing…nothing can compare!
2. Coldest place – Grand Canyon Hottest place – Big Bend, TX Most Humid – Little Talbot, FL
3. Worst sunburn/base tan (Chris) – Destin, FL
4. Longest we went without a shower – 4 days
5. Yes, Chris and I still really enjoy each other’s company!lol We can still stand to be around each other…good sign!
6. Things we learned along the way (the hard way): Put up the jacks before you drive away (they actually bend!), turn off the headlights (especially when going into a 2 hr movie), switch the fridge to proper power source (this has taken us the entire trip to get right), and make sure that everything is secure before driving off….we have lost a dish or two!lol, remember to put on the gas cap before driving away (we lost two of those).
This trip has been an incredible journey and we have learned so much, seen so much, and met so many wonderful people along the way. We wouldn’t change a thing and we would do it all over again. We have missed our family and friends and we are looking forward to seeing them and spending some much needed time with them this summer! We are looking forward to planning a wedding and moving to Hillsboro, all very exciting!!!!!! Thank you again for taking this journey with us……our only advice is to go see it all and make sure to have a very good sense of humor along the way!